Friday, September 11, 2009

Post #600: Mindset List 2009


Patriot Day, 2009. If you fly the American flag, remember to notch it down to half-staff today.

This is also my 600th post here at the blog. Let me make visiting here worth your while. Go to the list of "labels" on the right hand side of the page and click the one that says "bonus." All the material I've posted here that you haven't seen in your Inbox will be served up for you.

Meanwhile, students returned to classes all over this great nation during the past week. And that means it's time for those clever folks at Beloit University in Wisconsin to issue their annual "mindset" list, where they help us understand the cultural experience and background of this year's freshmen (and women).

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

THE BELOIT UNIVERSITY MINDSET LIST
2009 Version (Class of 2013)

Dr. Seuss, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.

Jack Kevorkian and Mike Tyson have always been felons.

They have never used a card catalog to find a book.

Salsa has always been more popular than ketchup.

Tattoos have always been chic and highly visible.

Rap music has always been mainstream.

The KGB has never existed.

They have never had to "shake down" an oral thermometer.

They have never understood the meaning of R.S.V.P.

The Atlanta Braves have only ever had one manager: Bobby Cox.

There has always been a Cartoon Network.

They have always watched wars, riots, and police arrest people on television as it actually happened.

There have always been flat screen televisions.

They were never Saved By the Bell.

Most communities have always had a "mega-church."

There has always been a Planet Hollywood.

They don't understand why "Help, I've fallen and I can't get up" is funny.

There has always been blue Jell-O.


[selected from Beloit University; see the entire list here.]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My daughter has another swim meet this weekend and I'm working, of course, but other than that, it looks like a quiet one. I'll see you on Monday.


:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Have a little fun this week with "The Eyeballing Game" at http://woodgears.ca/eyeball/. My best score was a 7.00; I'm sure you can beat that.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday - to now less than 600 of you - using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure my posts are certified by Habeas to be a safe source of e-mail. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise pleasantly click your mouse at my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. To win at tic-tac-toe, roulette, and lawsuits, just don't play. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. In the long run, it probably doesn't matter who gets the credit, but my credits tell others where to find me, and I hope that's important. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my e-mail post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. But now I believe I'm repeating myself. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. Some people sleep and dream. I dream of sleep.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "I've been trying for some time to develop a lifestyle that doesn't require my presence." (Garry Trudeau)

No comments: