Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mark Picks the Emmy Winners


If anyone asks, there are two secrets to my success. The first is the cardinal rule that "sleep is optional." The second is the conscious choice to not watch much television. Rather, let me say not watch too much live television. I do have my favorite shows, and we record those on our DVR and watch them later, when we can filter out the commercials and get an hour program watched in just about 42 minutes. Or, I'll watch on the web and accomplish much the same thing.

That said, I have no clue who's going to win the Emmy's tonight, because I don't watch hardly any of these shows (coupled with the fact you need an expensive cable premium package to watch most of them), but I have some guesses. We'll see how right I am.

BEST DRAMATIC SERIES
The nominees: Big Love (HBO), Breaking Bad (AMC), Damages (FX), Dexter (Showtime), House (Fox), Lost (ABC), Mad Men (AMC).

Mark picks: Mad Men, because the Emmy's love to award the same show and actor(s) for several years in a row. I hear a lot of people really enjoy Dexter, and Lost has made an artistic comeback, but if I had a vote, I'd pick House.

BEST COMEDY SERIES
The nominees: Entourage (HBO), Family Guy (Fox), Flight of the Conchords (HBO), How I Met Your Mother (CBS), The Office (NBC), Weeds (Showtime), 30 Rock (NBC).

Mark picks: The one not listed: The Big Bang Theory (CBS). The show that finally gives nerds their due and is consistently funny with not so much sexual humor or nasty language. In reality, the Emmy will probably go to 30 Rock. But CBS put up the wrong show.

BEST ACTRESS IN A DRAMATIC SERIES
The nominees: Sally Field (Brothers & Sisters on ABC), Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer on TNT), Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order: Special Victims Unit on NBC), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), Holly Hunter (Saving Grace on TNT), Glenn Close (Damages).

Mark picks: Mrs. Kevin Bacon, Kyra Sedgwick. Her work on The Closer is remarkable week in and week out, and the show is on our short list of "must see TV." The industry pundits say that Glenn Close has the inside track.

BEST ACTOR IN A DRAMATIC SERIES
The nominees: Michael C. Hall (Dexter), Gabriel Byrne (In Treatment on HBO), Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Simon Baker (The Mentalist on CBS), Hugh Laurie (House), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad).

Mark picks: Hugh Laurie. Dr. Gregory House is consistently interesting to watch, and often quite funny. Baker is a Brit new to American TV, and Bryan Cranston won last year, so he might pull it off again this season, but I'd like to see Laurie recognized for his work.

BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
The nominees: Julia Louis-Dreyfuss (The New Adventures of Old Christine on CBS), Christina Applegate (Samantha Who? on ABC), Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program on Comedy Central), Mary-Louise Parker (Weeds), Toni Collette (United States of Tara on Showtime), Tina Fey (30 Rock).

Mark picks: Occasionally the Emmy goes to quality shows that have been canceled, to recognize the lead(s) for their work (Taxi comes to mind). With that in mind, I'd like to pick Christina Applegate, but I think the Emmy is going to once again go to Ms. Fey because she has a much higher profile in the industry right now.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
The nominees: Jemaine Clement (Flight of the Conchords), Tony Shalhoub (Monk on USA), Steve Carell (The Office), Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Charlie Sheen (Two and a Half Men on CBS), Jim Parsons, (The Big Bang Theory on CBS).

Mark picks: Jim Parsons, to make up for The Big Bang Theory not being nominated for Best Comedy Show. Tony Shalhoub should win next year, after Monk goes off the air, and Alec Baldwin won last year so he could get the nod, but I get the impression he just kind of coasted on his laurels this year. And why Two and a Half Men is still on the air I don't really understand. I mean, it's funny, but it's a one-trick-pony. Everything about that show is one long sex joke. It's not on our watch list here at the house.


So there you have it. I won't go into all the categories, because that would just be dull, but there are my picks for the biggies.

No comments: