Friday, August 07, 2009

Bad Translations

Trying to keep myself up a little later so I get a bit more accommodated to Pacific Standard Time, I found a translation site that lets you type in an English phrase, and then it translates it into Japanese.

And then back to English, and Japanese, and English, and Japanese, and so on.

I'll list ten that I ran through the matrix and then list what the original was. See if you can guess before you read it.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1. Death and taxes is certainly nothing.
2. One, keep all the eggs.
3. Cold food is the best revenge.
4. In other words, it is impossible to attain all.
5. It is my pleasure to receive some personal information theft.
6. Farewell to a fool and his money.
7. Stupid angels fear to walk again.
8. Republicans. Two are in all aspects of the problem.
9. Zero growth is fonder.
10. The right one is not illegal.

ANSWERS

1. Nothing is certain but death and taxes.
2. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
3. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
4. You can't win them all.
5. There is no honor among thieves.
6. A fool and his money are soon parted.
7. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
8. There are two sides to every question.
9. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
10. Two wrongs don't make a right.


[Translation Party.com]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Two more days at my convention here in Vegas and then a full day of travel on Sunday.

I'll see you on Monday. Back in your Inbox.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Do you have an older driver in your life? Auto insurance giant AAA has tips, resources, and a "skill assessment" for you - and them - at http://www.aaaseniors.com/. There's an old joke about a table full of seniors going on and on about all their infirmities and at the end one of them says, "At least we can all still drive!" Use this site to help them stay on the road ... or know when to put the steering wheel in someone else's hands.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday - beginning again on August 10 - using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure those folks are certified by Habeas to be a safe sender of e-mail. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise pleasantly click your mouse at my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. After three days in Vegas, I'm really starting to miss my family. This is not really a family town. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. Please keep your hands off of my credits. On the post they're right after you read it. If you let them all go, then no one will know, the name of the person who said it. (The Credit Limerick) Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. Pray for my flights back on Sunday; I have to get on and off three separate planes.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "Given the choice between two theories, take the one that is funnier." (Blore's Razor)

No comments: