Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Clair de What?


So I pulled the trusty laptop down onto the top of my lap last night and I'm writing today's words while watching Major League Baseball's All Star Game. I'm not ashamed to say that yes, I choked up during the "Go Beyond" segment featuring a few of the 30 community volunteers that were honored in pregame ceremonies. There are some absolutely marvelous people out there doing things I could only dream about.

But if I were going to start a volunteer service project to benefit my neighborhood or community, I would go here to register it, seek other volunteers, and get some good advice as well as inspirational stories to keep me going.

+++

My wife and I periodically volunteer to share our music at retirement or nursing homes. I play the cello and my wife plays the harp.

Often times my wife will announce the name of a song or tell a little something about the music we are about to play. I remember on one occasion she announced to the audience that we were going to play a piece written by Claude Debussy entitled, "Clair de Lune."

One elderly woman in the front row, obviously hard of hearing, turned to the woman next to her and said in a loud voice, "What did she say?"

The other woman replied, in an equally loud voice, "She's going to play 'Fruit of the Loom'."


[EnergizeInc.com]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: Why is it called a "strike" when the batter misses the ball?

+++


Mark's Musings volunteers for an RSS Feed and is also available via e-mail each weekday. Take a swing at your own subscription here. Facebook users can find my full blog here.

No comments: