Friday, June 05, 2009

Witte Words

The Washington Post - each week in their "Style" section - has some sort of contest. Generally about wordplay. Today I'm excerpting their readers' creations of words that have a W, I, two Ts, and an E in them (those were the rules of the contest). Several made me smile and a few made me laugh right out loud. Hopefully they'll have the same effect on you.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

NEOLOGISMS

Whactivate - a method for getting your old TV to work.

Retrowitted - thought of a comeback too late for the argument.

Twitterboarded - drowned in Tweets.

Tightwed - a marriage in the Costco parking lot where the "buffet" is the free samples inside.

Tithewad - someone who skimps when the collection plate is passed.

Mittwife - a person equipped to catch a baby as it emerges from the womb.

Stwiptease - a dance performed by Gypsy Rose Fudd.

Notwinter - used only in Minnesota to describe July and occasionally August.

Wetti - the Abominable Rainman.

Acqwitted - found innocent of any sense of humor.

Theirwithal - a pile of other people's money (see: bailout).


[selected from the Washington Post Weekly Style Invitational]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Work and a wedding tomorrow, followed by a family reunion on Sunday. Busy weekend! Probably no blog posts. (Plus the wife and I will be at a hotel out of town and I'm leaving the laptop at home.)

I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: My wife says I need to tell you about this site and I almost always do what Bonnie tells me. So go visit http://www.projectnightnight.org/ where $20 can provide a blanket, a book, a stuffed animal and a tote bag to a homeless child. Do a good deed.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday - usually in the wee hours of the morning (EST) - using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure those folks are certified by Habeas to be a safe sender of e-mail. That means you can trust what I send. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise click your day away at my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. I've realized that the only problem with split days off is you wind up feeling like you NEVER get a day off. Harumph. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. The credits are hardly fine literature that should stand the test of time, but they should, at least, stand. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Hasn't happened for awhile. I blame the new job. Anyway, look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring it all up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. This e-mail is made up of 80% post-consumer recycled electrons.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, but writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it." (James M. Barrie)

No comments: