Monday, June 01, 2009

Coffee Cubes

Welcome to June, named after the mythological Roman goddess, Juno. Our classical ancestors saw her as overseeing many aspects of a woman's life - including marriage. This is one reason why so many weddings were held in June ... as an homage and an omen.

Of course, we no longer believe such things.

We do, however, believe that doing silly things with ice cubes is very, umm, cool.

+++

In a rush to work one morning, I pulled up to the drive-through window at a fast food restaurant and ordered some coffee.

Because I was in a hurry, I asked them to put a couple of ice cubes in the coffee so it would cool down more quickly and I could drink it faster.

I sat there at the pick-up window for a few minutes, wondering where they had to go to get my coffee, when a frustrated teenager finally came up and said, "I'm sorry for the delay, but the ice you wanted in your coffee keeps melting!"


[Joe's Clean Laffs]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: As it's that time of year, I was thinking about diplomas today - well, it was a word in my crossword, actually - and the clue was "sheepskin." How on earth did we come to call a diploma a sheepskin? Well, back in the 1700s and earlier, a crude type of paper was fashioned from the dried and stretched skin of a sheep, which was easier to manufacture than actual paper. Institutions of learning had to hand out a lot of them so often they used this sheepskin - with the diploma written entirely by hand - rather than purchasing actual paper, of which they would have had to buy a lot.

+++


Mark's Musings is refrigerated on an RSS Feed and flash frozen to your Inbox via e-mail each weekday. Get your very own subscription by clicking here. It's cool!

No comments: