Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Bond. Baseball Bond.


By now, most of you should know that I'm a big baseball fan. I used to be a season ticket holder for the Detroit Tigers. Enjoyed their last few seasons at the old Tiger Stadium and their first few seasons at Comerica Park. Then I took a couple of years off when tickets got too pricy and I couldn't find enough takers to share the cost, but I re-upped for another couple of years when I found out they were holding the All Star Game there in 2005. I went to every single event and enjoyed myself tremendously.

This year People Magazine and Major League Baseball have teamed up to elect a different kind of All Star. For each major league community, three candidates who have had a positive impact on their community have been nominated.

Your votes will send one from each major league city to the All Star Game in Saint Louis.

The one everyone at my workplace is voting for is Kate Brooks (look for the Detroit Tigers logo - Olde English "D"). She's a postmaster in a Michigan city and has worked tirelessly to recruit bone marrow donors.

+++

Harry was never shy about reminding people that he once played semi-pro baseball.

"My teammates used to call me James Bond," he was telling his friends one day. "Y'see, I had all sorts of tricks to confuse the opposition."

"Well, that," his wife chimed in, "plus the fact that he batted .007."


[Joe's Clean Laffs]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: Why do baseball players wear hats when they play at an indoor stadium?

+++


Mark's Musings goes backbackback on an RSS Feed or slides into your Inbox via e-mail each weekday. Take two, then hit to right with your own subscription here.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

I went to the 1979 All Star Game in the Kingdome. Even though the AL lost, it was a great spectacle. I went to the workout the day before, saw the home run hitting contest, pitch, hit, and run, and in general enjoyed the spectacle that was Baseball. Haven't been to a major league game since 1998 now, but watching it on TV here for the first time this season, brings it all back. Couldn't believe that Vin Scully is STILL calling Dodgers Games.

Mark said...

I just checked ... the American League hasn't lost an All Star Game since 1995. That is some record. By the way, love your blog ... I'm going to "follow" it!