Friday, November 20, 2009

Random Meditations and Musings

My wife works for our local newspaper, which has privileged me to meet an awful lot of creative people; writers mostly. Jim Smith is one of them. He used to cover the police beat and eventually became a columnist, as well. He retired two years ago and immediately began writing a blog.

It was there that I saw this material, which Jim has graciously allowed me to reprint. You may have seen some of these before, but I haven't -- and in the course of what I do I see almost everything -- so I'm hoping today's post is new to you, as well.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

MEDITATIONS AND MUSINGS

I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer's Internet browsing history if you die.

Nothing feels worse than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger.

There is great need for a sarcasm font.

Was learning cursive really necessary?

Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

Bad decisions make good stories.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know you just won't do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Can all we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blu-Ray? I don't want to have to re-start my collection ... again.

I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Microsoft's Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to the eight page paper I'm *sure* I didn't make any changes to.

"Do not machine wash or tumble dry" means this garment will never be cleaned.

I hate it when I just miss a call and immediately call back, but it rings six times and goes to voice mail. What did you do? Drop the phone and run away when I didn't answer?

I hate leaving my house looking good and feeling confident and then not see anyone important all day. It feels like a waste.

I keep some people's phone numbers in my cell just so I know not to answer when they call. You, too?

I think the freezer deserves a light, as well.


[with thanks to Jim Smith's blog]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Let's see, Bonnie is still in Florida - flying back on Sunday - and my daughter and I have gotten along pretty darn well this week. Couple of public dinners this weekend, and then back to my getting-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night life when I return to work on Monday.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Sheldon is a 10-year old boy genius who invented software that makes the Internet faster. Now he's a gazillionaire and lives with his grandfather and Arthur, the talking duck he created by downloading an encyclopedia and speech recognition software into its brain. Then there's Flaco, the gecko that lives with him but whom only Arthur can understand. I really relate to the grandfather character, we have the same body type. Find all this family-friendly webcomic goodness at http://www.sheldoncomics.com/. I thought for the next couple of weeks I'd share some of my favorite webcomic sites. Feel free to let me know what yours are. (Sidebar: I just checked out today's comic and you're likely not to get it, so do click through some of the archives to get a better feel for Dave Kellet's work. It's good stuff! To those who *want* to get it, Flaco can only say the word "Squee" and in today's issue, he's trying to teach that word to the bird, who's obviously not getting the pronunciation right.)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday, when I get around to it, using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure my posts are certified by Habeas to be a safe source of e-mail. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and click through the pages over at my web site. To contact me and one day get a reply, click here. Still on vacation so I'm still not thinking up anything funny to go in this spot. Still no apologies. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. The credits SO want to be kept attached. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. Seen any good movies lately?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "Show us a man who never makes a mistake and we will show you a man who never makes anything." (H.L. Wayland)

No comments: