Friday, November 06, 2009

Life's Little Rules

Thanks to all who thought kindly for my Dad yesterday. He came through the surgery with flying colors and instead of four days in hospital, there's a good chance he'll be sent home today!

+++

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who took time to write and send in your contributions. Here are most of what you sent me. A few of you sent stuff from around the Web, and the idea was to more or less give me your original "little rules" so of those that came from somewhere else, I'm only reprinting the more obscure ones here.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

LIFE'S LITTLE RULES

Wake up deciding to enjoy your day.

Look up at the stars every now and then.

Never slap a man chewing tobacco on the cheek.

If your wife says "OK" with a frown, it's not okay.

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

The right thing at the wrong time still makes a mess. The wrong thing at the right time turns out fine. Timing is everything.

What you don't have in your head you'll have to have in your heels.
Translation: What you don't remember you will have to go back and get.

Give them roses while you can put them in their hands; don't wait until you can only put them on their coffin.

Live the life you love.

If you want something done and done right, do it yourself.

Never look down on anyone, unless you're helping them up.

When you say "I love you," mean it.

Always thinking. Always thinking ahead.

Thank God all day long for all the little things ... like fresh warm laundry from the dryer, or making it through a tricky intersection okay.

Encourage others.

Always stay down wind from a bear, and upwind from a skunk.

Never take the last piece when sharing with others.

What we do for ourselves dies with us; what we do for others is immortal.

Memorize your favorite poem.

Be especially kind to people when you feel least like it.

Be in the moment.

If your wife is suddenly ultra-nice to you, have a look at the checkbook.

Never take a laser game gun to a paintball fight.

Believe in love at first sight.

When you're angry, shut up and sing.

Don't judge people by their relatives.

Don't chew gum when you're talking to people.

Spend some time alone.


[submitted by list members Susan B., Chris H., Lloyd D., Don C., Vivian Z., Jim G., Nancy M., Mike B., Patricia K., Lillian C., Carrie M., and Mark Raymond]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My daughter has her final swim meet relays this weekend, my office renovation is still ongoing, and my Dad is still recovering from his surgery. I will be in one of those three places most of the weekend.

So I'll see you on Monday.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Several of you have now sent me the link for the YouTube video on the "Piano Stairs," so I did a little further research and discovered that Volkswagen is sponsoring a series of behavior modification experiments in Europe. Something they call "The Fun Theory." Check out all three videos at http://www.thefuntheory.com/. And maybe a few more corporate sponsors here in America can take up the cause.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday, sooner or later, using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure my posts are certified by Habeas to be a safe source of e-mail. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and click through the pages over at my web site. To contact me and one day get a reply, click here. Reminding you now that I will update the blog later today. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. That's one of forwarding's and reprinting's little rules. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. Has anyone seen my checkbook?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "The world has forgotten, in its concern with Left and Right, that there is an Above and Below." (Glen Drake)

No comments: