Friday, March 19, 2010

Birthday Stories


It's my wife's birthday. Let the revelry begin!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

BIRTHDAY STORIES

Edward Karrman, the insurance company president, was celebrating his 60th birthday one year. He was traveling to a distant city at the time. His friends surprised him at the hotel with two bottles of champagne and a chocolate cake.

Inside the box was this note from the hotel concierge: "We do apologize, sir. We were unable to locate any candles for your cake."

Also inside the box, however, was a 60-watt light bulb.

+++

Yesterday was my 44th birthday. I wasn't supposed to have made it this far. I wasn't very safety-minded when I was younger ... didn't use my head much ... and I was lucky to live past the age of 25, frankly.

But yesterday I put on double-fours. My wife asked me, "It's your special day. What do you want to do?"

I replied, "Hmm, let's think--"

"No, no," she interrupted, "it's your birthday. It should be something *you* can do, too."

+++

Junior was one of those "holy terrors" as a child. His father was surprised when one year his mother suggested they buy him a bicycle for his birthday.

"Do you really think a bike will help improve his behavior?" father asked.

"Well, no," his mother admitted, "but it will spread it over a wider area."


[Wit and Wisdom, Laughter for a Saturday, Ladyhawke's Weekly Jokes]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

We actually had to celebrate my wife's birthday dinner yesterday, as tonight my band loads in for a gig at an all-day men's conference tomorrow. And then I lead the worship band on Sunday morning at church, so another busy weekend for yours truly.

But, as always, I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Find out the origins of four very popular community service organizations at the Mental Floss blog: http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/49577. I learned a few things, perhaps you will, too.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday using Ezine Director and I pay a little more to make sure my posts are certified by Habeas to be a safe source of e-mail. That means no ads, no spam, and no worries. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and do other things over at my web site. To contact me and someday get a reply, click here. I apologize if you're a list owner and you've reprinted these jokes but I didn't give you credit; I credited the first list I read them in, and my joke archive folders go back to 2004. That's how I try to make sure I don't send anything that's currently going around the Web. You can forward or reprint Mark's Musings freely but please keep the credits attached. The credits don't get older, they just get sweeter. Original material and musings © 2010 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my e-mail post daily (plus I often add graphics) and very occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. Erg. I can't stop sneezing this morning.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "A diplomat is a man who always remembers a woman's birthday, but can never recall her age." (Robert Frost)

No comments: