Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Safari Seats


I start my last project before Christmas in an hour, so just the joke today, my friends.

+++

A salesman who sold La-Z-Boy furniture went on an African safari one year. During the course of one safari tour, he wandered off to get some interesting photos and managed to get lost.

He spent weeks in the bush, and was near death when a native tribe discovered him, and nursed him back to health, and eventually he was able to return to the United States.

When he got back, he wanted some way to thank the chief of the tribe and his wife, and he remembered that the thrones they had sat upon were merely two large stones, where a flat surface for a seat had been chiseled, and they were most uncomfortable.

So the salesman purchased two top-of-the-line La-Z-Boy chairs, and paid for Express First Class shipping all the way to Africa, in appreciation for saving his life.

The Chief and his wife were delighted with the new chairs, and began using them immediately. They were wise, however, and knew the chairs wouldn't last forever, so they had the old boulders they were using put up onto the roof of the communal meeting house, where they would be safe from theft.

A short time later, during a tribal meeting, the heavy rocks fell through the roof and sadly, crushed both the chief and his bride.

The moral? People who live in grass houses shouldn't stow thrones.


[in groaning appreciation from A Prairie Home Companion]

+++

WORDS for YOUR WEEK: "In what you say of another, apply the test of kindness, necessity, and truth, and let nothing pass your lips without a two-thirds majority." (Liz Armbruster)

+++


Mark's Musings sits back on an RSS Feed, reclines on a Facebook Note, and says "ahhhh" via e-mail each weekday. Click here to get your own subscription.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Found this through a blogsearch set for my mom. Geez, I never knew her quotations would spread so far and wide throughout cyberspace. Thank you for the quote, but I am not sure if it's original author is my mother. She mentions on her blog somewhere who it's by, and growing up, she sure did remind us a whole lot that we had to meet those three requirements before we said anything. Anyway, I'm rambling. Her blog is armbruster1.blogspot.com . There are plenty of great quotes and you can verify who that certain one should be attributed to. I'm pretty sure it's somebody famous, but I don't remember. Anyway, I throughly enjoyed your joke, and I think I should want to re-tell it one day. Sorry for this random drop-in.
~Mary Armbruster

Mark said...

Mary, happy to have you here! No apology necessary. I will visit your mother's blog soon and correct the attribute within moments after that.

You may be interested in knowing that I read it at The Quote Garden website, under their heading "Wise Words."

http://www.thequotegarden.com/.