Friday, April 03, 2009

IRS Calls

Have you done your taxes yet? I confess I haven't, but only because I've been so freakishly busy so far this year with family events and their associated work taking priority in my life. I'll get it done by Tax Freedom Day.

Tax Freedom Day? What is that?

The Tax Foundation keeps track of our national taxes. You know that a certain percentage of your paycheck goes to the government, yes? Well, if you took what you paid each week in taxes and added it all up, then assumed that instead of keeping your paycheck, you just gave that money to the government starting in January ... you would discover that this year you are working for free until April 13.

But the good news is that's eight days less than last year.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

STRANGE, BUT TRUE, CALLS TO THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE

Caller: I want to know if I should file as married or single?
IRS: Are you married?
Caller: Well, sort of.
IRS: What?
Caller: Well, we did get married, but we're not counting on things working out.

Caller: I got a letter from you guys and I want to know what you want.
IRS: What did the letter say?
Caller: Just a minute, I'll open it.

Caller: I'm a bookkeeper and I need to know if ten $100 bills make a thousand dollars, or only ten hundred dollars?
IRS: Both. It's the same amount of money.
Caller: Then why do I get a different answer every time I move the decimal point?

Caller: What does the law say about people who are renting to relatives and taking a loss on the property?
IRS: You are required to charge them a fair market value.
Caller: Oh, it's very fair. If we rented to someone else, we could get a lot more.

Caller: Could you please send me some of those WD-40s?


[from IRS agent Donna Wilson via the Good, Clean Funnies List]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

For us fantasy baseball enthusiasts, this is one of the best weekends of the year ... it's Draft Day time! I still think Baseball's Opening Day should be a national holiday.

This weekend also holds Palm Sunday. So get thyself to a good church.

I'll see you on Monday.


Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: My wife, as I think I've mentioned, is something of an amateur photographer, so when I see some pretty cool pictures, my interest is piqued. Because I love words and philosophy and thinking, when I see some pretty cool words, my interest is also piqued. You can see some pretty cool pictures with cool words added as a dash of inspiration in a creative mix at http://cooppics.wordpress.com/.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings continues to be sent on an RSS Feed and also via e-mail using Ezine Director and I pay extra to make sure those folks are certified by Habeas to be a safe sender of e-mail. That means you can trust what I send. And I promise never to send spam or give your address to anyone who will. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise click your day away at my web site. (There are years of archival jokes and links, for instance, or at least three years of "Web Sites of the Week" to browse.) To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. How far east can you go before you're heading west? Yes, you can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. The credits don't take up much room and sit quietly here at the bottom of the post so they won't disturb anyone. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of the post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring it all up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Time to go make the coffee and then ride the bike.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "We used to think that if we knew one, we knew two, because one and one are two. We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about 'and'." (Sir Arthur Eddington)

No comments: