Friday, May 02, 2008

Getting Older, Part One

Well, I certainly received a lot of submissions. You all did marvelously at finishing the sentence, "You Know You're Getting Older When..." I will run another set next Friday, so keep 'em coming.

It was obvious, however, that a couple of you had some help from Google. I'll give you points for your industriousness, but I was kind of hoping to hear your own original thoughts on the subject. Still, you did unearth a few from that source I've not seen before, so I'll give you credit and run with those. If you don't see your entry here, keep watch for next week's post.

And I did do my editing and occasional rewriting thing, because hey, that's what I do here, but once again, well done, everybody!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

YOU KNOW YOU'RE GETTING OLDER WHEN...
Part the First

...the music you were forbidden to listen to as a child is now played by orchestras and you hear it in elevators and when you're on hold.

...you can't tell if you're just getting up or just going to bed.

...you're convinced your pants look best on you as a "Harry High Pants" or a "Larry Low Rider" and you'll never wear them any other way.

...you visit your doctors more often than your grocery store.

...you wake up looking exactly like your driver's license picture.

...you look in the mirror and are startled to see a reflection of your mother.

...when all the airplane pilots, doctors, pharmacists, repair people, etc. look like little kids and you just hope they all know what they're doing.

...when something you remember as happening quite recently is described as being ancient history -- by someone younger than you are.

...you pay more attention to how the car is running than how attractive the woman driving it is.

...you think "going out" means getting the newspaper off the porch.

...your dresser has more pill bottles than cosmetics.

...you amble from room to room trying to remember why you got out of the chair in the first place.

...your IQ and your age are just about the same number.

...by the time you find your glasses you've forgotten what you wanted to read.

...they don't even ask for ID anymore at restaurants before applying the Senior Discount.

...happy hour is a nap.

...you've stopped buying green bananas.

[contributed by list members Jonathan B., Janice W., Don C., "Bowichmama," Lisa H., Daffy H., Nancy M., Dan G., Cliff R., Lloyd D., Bonnie D., and Mark Raymond]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

As I mentioned Thursday, my wife is out of town all weekend, so the kids and I are taking care of the homestead this weekend. All by ourselves. Just the three of us. Okay, mainly me.

Pray for us. I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: I will often receive files from people that I just can't open because I don't own the right software. With one important person in my life, it's happened several times quite recently. It's frustrating for both of us. Well, I found a solution to that problem. At http://www.zamzar.com, you can upload pretty much any file you have in any format you have and convert it to just about any other usable format. Need to put that Word document into a PDF file? Done. Need to put that PDF spreadsheet into Excel so you can work with the numbers? Zamzar can do it. Have a Mac file you need to make into something your PC friend can use? It's all there. And it's free. You get better service and you can convert larger files if you pay a registration fee, but for most of your files, the free service will work just fine.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is also sent each weekday via email and is a Habeas-certified spam free mailer. Subscribe, view past issues in the Archives, or help defray publishing costs at my web site. To contact Mark, click here. To understand more about just how much we don't know, look at a cow and remember that the greatest scientists in the world have never discovered how to turn grass into milk. (Inventor Michael Pupin said that.) You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. Credit detachment is easy to do, but hard to live with. Original material and commentary © 2008 by Mark Raymond. This includes this paragraph. I update this blog with a copy of this post daily, and extra thoughts, videos, and the occasional other bit of stuff and nonsense on the weekends. My personal mission statement is John 3:30. Stop staring at me. No, not you. You.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." (Abraham Joshua Heschel) Thank you, Molly Rhea.

No comments: