Sunday, May 11, 2008

In Honor of Mom

"What my mother believed about cooking was that if you worked hard and prospered, someone else would do it for you." (Nora Ephron)

"A mother understands what a child does not say." (Old Proverb)
A mother's arms are made of tenderness and children sleep soundly in them. (Victor Hugo)
"All the philosophy in our house is not in the study. A good deal is in the kitchen, where a fine old lady thinks high thoughts and does good deeds while she cooks and scrubs." (Louisa May Alcott)

"If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?" (Milton Berle)
The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. (Honore de Balzac)

"By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the vacationless class." (Anne Morrow Lindbergh)

"No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement." (Florida Scott-Maxwell)
Arthur: It's at times like these I wish I'd listened to my mother.
Ford: Why, what did she say?
Arthur: I don't know, I never listened.
(Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy)

"My mother said to me, 'If you become a soldier you'll be a general; if you become a monk you'll end up as the pope.' Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso." (Pablo Picasso)

"Grown don't mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, and grown. But in my heart it don't mean a thing." (Toni Morrison)
One moment a woman is pregnant and the next she is a mother, an instant novitiate in that secret society whose roll of membership is as long as time itself. (Molly McKaughan, The Biological Clock)

"You couldn't fool your mother on the most foolingest day of your life, even if you had an electrified fooling machine." (Homer Simpson)

{Selected from "Mothers Are Special" as compiled by Lucy Mead}

No comments: