Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pilot Compliment


So I went to the dentist today. After all of these years, I finally have to admit ...

...it's still no fun.

+++

As one of the few female airline pilots, I've often been mistaken for a flight attendant, ticket agent, and even a snack bar employee. Occasionally people will see me in uniform and ask if I'm a "real" pilot. A few recognize how rare it is for me to pilot a commercial plane and congratulate me for making it successfully in a male-dominated field.

One day I was in the restroom before a flight. I was at the sink, brushing my teeth, when a woman walked through the door and looked over at me. After a moment, she remarked, "My sister would be so proud of you!"

Hoping this was going to be one of those rare compliments where someone understood how hard I'd worked to become a pilot, I asked, "And why is that?"

"She's a dentist!"


[Pastor Tim's CleanLaugh]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: "Beneath the cross of Jesus, I fain would take my stand." Many of us have sung that song in church at one time or another. For some of you, it may be your favorite hymn. But what about that word "fain"? At one time I assumed it was built on an old French word "fait," which is about doing something, getting something done. But now I know the word "fain" originated from an Old English word: fagen, which means "glad, cheerful, happy, or rejoicing." So when you sing that hymn, you are saying you would *gladly* make your stand beneath that old rugged cross.

+++

Mark's Musings is available via an RSS Feed, a Facebook Note, the Amazon Kindle and via e-mail each weekday (usually). Subscriptions are free. ISSN 2154-9761.

No comments: