Friday, October 23, 2009

Heavenly Playground

As I've been preparing for the next couple of Sundays at church, I've wound up doing some listening to songs and reading some poems about heaven. One of them just tickled my imagination, as well as my funny bone and I thought I'd share it with you today.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

HEAVENLY PLAYGROUND
by Adrian Plass

Oh God, I'm not anxious to snuff it,
but when the Grim Reaper reaps me,
I'll try to rely on
my vision of Zion;
I know how I want it to be.

As soon as You greet me in Heaven,
and ask what I'd like, I shall say,
"I just want a chance
for my spirit to dance;
I want to be able to play."

Tell the angels to build a soft playground
designed and equipped just for me.
With a vertical slide
that's abnormally wide
and oceans of green PVC.

There'll be reinforced netting to climb on,
and rubberized floors that will bend.
And no one can die
so I needn't be shy
if I'm tempted to land on a friend!

I'm gonna go mad in the soft, squashy mangle,
and balmy with balls in the swamp
colored and spherical,
I'll be hysterical!
I'll have a heavenly romp!

There'll be cushions and punch bags and tires
in purple and yellow and red,
and a mushroomy thing
that will suddenly sing
if I kick it or sit on its head.

There'll be fountains of squash and ribina
to feed my continual thirst,
and none of that stuff
about "You've had enough,"
surely heavenly bladders won't burst.

I suppose I might be too tall for the entrance
but Lord, chuck the rules in the bin.
If I am too large,
tell the angel in charge
to let me bow down and come in.


[written by Adrian Plass; taken from the "City of Gold" CD. Note: Ribina is an uncarbonated fruit drink]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Well, tomorrow night we're going to see comedians Bill Engvall and John Pinette with some good friends. Should be fun! Then on Sunday we're spending some time with extended family. Looks like a good weekend!

May yours be as full, and I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Why not point you to this prolific, witty, insightful writer. Please visit him and perhaps even purchase a book or two at http://www.adrianplass.com/.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure my posts are certified by Habeas to be a safe source of e-mail. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise romp happily through the pages over to my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. Heaven. Hope to see you there. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. At least the part that tells them where to find me. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. Gosh, is it bedtime already? Again? Morning comes so early.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "Naturally, we cannot say much about the spiritual body, because we cannot imagine what it would be like to have a spiritual body different from that which we now inhabit but it seems to me reasonable to believe that we are weaving our spiritual bodies as we go along." (William R. Matthews)

No comments: