Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Remote Battery


There has been a breakthrough in battery technology that may make the electric car actually feasible for everyday use.

Scientists in the U.K. have replaced the lithium cobalt oxide in a battery with a porous carbon substance and use the oxygen from the air around it as the reactant to provide a recharging effect.

So yes, you read correctly, it's a battery that runs on air.

This means two things: 1) the battery can be quite a bit lighter and, 2) the battery can be quite a bit larger, holding more of a charge.

Probably won't work in space, though. I'm just saying.

+++

I recently saw a distraught young lady standing beside her car. I stopped and climbed out of my own vehicle.

"Do you need some help?" I asked.

"I knew I should have replaced the battery in this remote key thingy," she explained, exasperated. "Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they would have this size battery?" She pointed to a convenience store a couple of blocks away.

"Hmmmm. I don't know. Let me see your remote."

She handed it over to me and I looked at it for a moment, then I walked over to the door and used her key to manually unlock the vehicle.

"Why don't you drive down there and ask them if they've got the right size?"

The look on her face was priceless.


[Joe's Clean Laffs; reworked by Mark Raymond]

+++

WORDS for YOUR WEEK: "Everything in Life is somewhere else, and you can get there in a car." (E.B. White)

+++


Mark's Musings is available via RSS Feed or to your Inbox via e-mail each weekday. Get your own subscription by clicking here. It's easy, and it's free.

No comments: