Friday, February 06, 2009

Marriage


My best friend's youngest daughter is getting married tonight. To a Marine. Semper Fi!

Best wishes and congratulations, Betsy and Blake!

Meanwhile, 25 years down the road together with my own wife ... well, I've learned a thing or two.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

THAT BLESSED ESTATE

Men, remember that no man has ever been shot while doing the dishes.

My wife has trouble opening jars. Apparently that involves a different set of muscles than slamming doors.

It's said that a woman worries about her future until she takes a husband. A man never worries about the future until he takes a wife.

If your wife laughs at your joke, you either have a good joke or a good wife.

Losing a husband can be hard. In some cases, it can be nearly impossible.

Men, don't even think about bigamy. The punishment is *two* mothers-in-law.

It is said the wise never marry, for when they marry they become otherwise.

Never argue with a spouse who is packing your lunch or your parachute.

Before we got married, I caught her in my arms. Now I catch her in my wallet.

===

My coworkers sympathized one day when I was complaining that my back hurt after moving some furniture.

"Why didn't you wait until your husband got home?" they asked.

"Well, I could have," I replied, "but I find the couch is easier to move if he's not on it."


[selected from all over the Web by Mark Raymond]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Well, Bonnie passed her first couple of tests with flying colors, but she has three more to go next week while we search for the answer to what is ailing her. So please continue to keep her in your good thoughts and kind prayers.

Meanwhile, enjoy your weekend. I know I will. See you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: I enjoy reading book series. I've made my way through Terry Pratchett's Discworld and C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy and Chronicles of Narnia and Tolkein's work, as well as some stuff by Stephen Brust. I'm currently doing three concurrent series from Clive Cussler, Piers Anthony, and the host of writers who do the Star Trek books. (Not to mention the two dozen or so books I've been given by friends who highly recommend them. Whoops, I just mentioned them, didn't I?) Anyway, I generally don't have any trouble figuring out what to read next. But if you do, then maybe http://www.whichbook.net/ is a good thing. Of the dozen "sliders" listed, you can select four in categories that interest you and even adjust how much of that characteristic you want. Then the site will recommend several books - with short reviews - and even give you a brief excerpt to see if you like the writing style.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent using Ezine Director and those folks are certified by Habeas to be spam-free. That means I'll never email you spam. Ever. Not even once. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise click to your heart's content at my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. At last, some warmer weather this weekend. I tell you what, I've had it with winter. We're quits. I'm breaking up with winter. We're just going to have to start seeing other people. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. Keep your arms and the credits inside this message at all times until the post has stopped moving. Original material and commentary © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of this post daily and occasionally toss in bonus material on the weekends (or whenever the mood strikes). Look for the label that says "Weekend" and you can bring them all up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Hey, "Semper Fi" would be a good motto for marriage, too, wouldn't it?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "There is nothing nobler or more admirable than when two people who see eye to eye keep house as man and wife, confounding their enemies and delighting their friends." (Homer)

No comments: