Friday, January 09, 2009

Victor Borge


So my wife and I were recently watching PBS during one of their fundraising weeks, and they were showing some clips from a Victor Borge DVD package. He's one of my favorite musical comedians.

Born Borge Rosenbaum, he became the "Clown Prince of Denmark" by mixing in a few jokes in between selections at his piano recitals when he was in his early 20s. He moved to America in 1940, became a U.S. citizen in 1948, and eventually had his own stage show called "Comedy In Music," which was also the name of one of his recordings.

In 1993 he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Victor Borge passed away in December of 2000.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

THE WIT and WISDOM OF VICTOR BORGE

"I only know two pieces; one is 'Clair de Lune' and the other one isn't."

"I wish to thank my parents for making it all possible ... and I wish to thank my children for making it necessary."

"If I have caused just one person to wipe away a tear of laughter, that's my reward. The rest goes to the government."

"When an opera star sings her head off ... she usually improves her appearance."

"Laughter is the shortest distance between two people."

"Ah, Mozart! He was happily married, but his wife wasn't."

"I don't mind growing old. I'm just not used to it."

"I don't mind Daylight Saving Time. With inflation, the hour will be the only thing I've saved all year."

"Santa Claus has the right idea ... visit people only once a year."

"Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. Because, you see, humor is truth."

[taken from web sites all over the 'Net by Mark Raymond]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

It's that time of month: three meetings all in a row tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to at least one of them. But probably no blog posts this weekend. Still, I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Last year I pointed you to the Fimoculous website. A Fimoculous is, apparently, a microorganism that consumes its own waste for sustenance. The site's tagline is "Feeding On Itself". Draw your own metaphors. Whatever, it is the best site for an "all-in-one-place" collection of 2008's "Best of Everything." http://www.fimoculous.com/year-review-2008.cfm. But be careful, you could lose much of your day here before you know it and I can't guarantee every click is family-friendly. I do know last night just up and disappeared on me.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is certified by the folks at Habeas to be spam-free. That means I'll never email you spam. Ever. Subscribe, view past issues in the Archives, and click to your heart's content at my web site.To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. Find a good website for you guys and then, pfft! It's dang near midnight. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. Every time you leave the credits on an angel gets his wings. Original material and commentary © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of this post daily and occasionally toss in bonus material on the weekends (or whenever the mood strikes). Look for the label that says "Weekend" and you can bring them all up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Since I've started putting up extra blog posts on days other than the weekend, somebody remind me to change that tag to "Bonus!"

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "To find one real friend in a lifetime is good fortune; to keep him a blessing." (Baltasar Gracian)

No comments: