Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year Groaners

Happy New Year!

Just a few miscellaneous things to start off 2009. I'm led to understand that out of the thousands of font types available, only about seven are common across all computer platforms and operating systems. The one little change I'm trying in the post for '09 is to make the font compatible with what I use on this blog. It will actually save me some time uploading the daily post here, and with my schedule I'll take every second I can get. I tried to change the font back in 2004, and that didn't work so well, but I wasn't using a common type. Now I am. Anyway, let me know what you think.

List member Lavonne T. has a neat little tip for you checkbook types ... go ahead and write "2009" on to about the next dozen checks in your book so you won't forget that it's a new year. By the time you write that last pre-marked check, you should have gotten into the habit.

Several of you have written to wish me a good start to 2009 and relate some of your plans for the coming year. Thank you, and I'm excited for you! I pray God blesses each and every one of you.

Seasoned baseball fans know that there is truly no off-season. Long-time readers know that I'm a big baseball fan. I play in two fantasy baseball leagues and at one time was a season ticket holder for more than a decade with the Detroit Tigers. I even read that little tiny agate type in the newspapers following all the transactions teams make. So celebrate with me the official launch of the Major League Baseball Network. It's debuting this evening with the first ever broadcast - aside from the actual live one - of Don Larsen's perfect World Series game in 1956. They're even going to honor the memory of that game by showing all the original commercials with it. The network deal gets them into 50 million homes, so odds are they're in your cable or satellite package, if you look. If not, feel free to come on over about 7:00 p.m. EST tonight, but bring chips and hot dogs.

Finally, if you like Contemporary Christian Music, most all of those artists are blogging and Twittering these days. Find a list of the good ones here.

+++

GROANERS TO GET YOUR NEW YEAR STARTED

The Bureau of Prisons just announced they were able to release a serial bank robber who had held up more than 30 banks before his capture. The parole board announced he is completely rehabilitated and has found employment at his home in Prague. Yes, that is correct. The Bureau was able to right a bad Czech.

It's gotten so cold here that strangers exchange insults just so they can get into heated arguments.

Many shoppers, especially at Christmas time, have longstanding complaints.

If a line of fish eggs were using the oars in a canoe, would that be a roe row rowing your boat?

Pity the Dalmatian. It can never play hide-and-seek. No matter where it hides, it's always spotted!

I once knew an absent-minded musician. He kept leaving himself notes.

Then there was the absent-minded artist. He kept drawing blanks.

Amoeba prisons are really small. They only have one cell.

[Joe's Clean Laffs, JokeMaster, Mark Raymond]

+++

WISDOM for YOUR WEEK: "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17)

+++


Mark's Musings is also available via RSS Feed and email each weekday. Hey, it's a new year. Why not start it out with your own subscription - for free - by clicking here?

No comments: