Wednesday, January 21, 2009

New Car

The weather here in southeast Michigan has been lousy this winter. Well, not if you like to ski or snowboard or snowmobile, I suppose. The problem is I don't enjoy any of those activities. Don't have time or the money to maintain such hobbies. Those of you who do, go at it!

It's snowed here. A lot. Seems like someone in our family has been out shoveling almost every other day for the past six weeks. There's so much snow stacked up at the end of our driveway that it looks like you're entering a low valley between two majestic mountains when you pull in. And when it's not snowing, it's only because it's too cold to snow.

All of this whining is leading up to a website from the National Weather Service Forecast Office in El Paso, Texas. Called "The Weather Calculator," it will provide you with conversion calculations for heat index, wind chill, Fahrenheit to Celsius, moisture conversions, pressure conversions, and some miscellaneous calculations to boot. And for you math geeks, all of the formulas for these figures are included as well.

For instance, using the converter for wind chill, I can tell you that this past Friday the wind chill here was a balmy -23 degrees Fahrenheit. (That's -31 degrees Celsius for my global readers).

Brrrrr.

+++

Snow was falling heavily the day I decided to visit a car dealership. I was confident I'd get a great deal, figuring the salesmen would be desperate for customers on such a lousy day.

Sure enough, when I entered the showroom, I was the only client.

My hopes for getting a good deal quickly faded, however, when I heard the approaching salesman's very first words:

"Boy," he said, jovially, "you must really want a new car badly to come out on a day like this!"

[readersdigest.com]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: Is it obvious by now why the last four months of the year end in "ber"?

+++


Using your teflon-coated ergonomic mouse, you can get your own subscription for free by clicking here. Mark's Musings is sent each weekday via email and is also available on an RSS Feed.

No comments: