Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Proposal

Did you ever go into a room and forget why you were there? No good with names or faces? Can't remember your login password(s)?

The folks at How Stuff Works have come up with ten tips to improve your memory.

If only I could remember what I did with the link.

Oh, yes. Here it is.

+++

Two elderly people each lived alone in a Florida mobile home park. He was a widower and she was a widow. They had known each other for a number of years and got along together well. One night, at the big community meal in the activity center, they sat together and talked long into the evening. As their evening wore down, he finally got up enough courage to ask her to marry him.

After only a few seconds of careful consideration, she said, "Yes. Yes, I will." Their time together ended with a few more pleasant exchanges and promises, then each went back to their own home.

In the morning, he was troubled. Had she said "yes" or "no"? He couldn't remember. Try as he might, he just could not recall. Not even a faint memory of her answer. With trepidation, he picked up the phone and called her.

First he explained that he didn't remember everything as well as he used to, and then he went on to review what he remembered of the lovely evening they had spent together. By the time he finished, he had worked up the nerve to say, "When I asked if you would marry me, did you say 'yes' or 'no'?"

He was delighted to hear her say, "Why, I said, 'yes. Yes, I will.' And I meant it with all my heart."

The man was so overjoyed he burst out with a whoop of excitement, but then he heard her say, "And you know, I'm so glad you called, because I couldn't remember who had asked!"

[Mikey's Funnies]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: If you're never too old to learn how come you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

+++


Mark's Musings is also available each weekday via email. Remember that you can get your very own subscription by clicking here.

No comments: