Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bug Inspection

Maybe it's because I tend to look for this kind of thing on Thursday.

Or maybe it's because I admire strong family relationships.

Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for a story that tugs on your heartstrings.

Or maybe it's just because I love my own father and my own son so much, that this story had me in tears.

Click near the bottom of each photo to go to the next one. There are just over 40 in all.

My thanks to Kim Komando and Phillip Toledano.

+++

A pest extermination company was giving free termite inspections, and my Dad called for an appointment.

After the inspector checked over our house thoroughly, he handed Dad the estimate and said, "You don't have any termites right now, but there's a bunch of 'em in that firewood you've got stacked out back. When they've eaten their way through that, I guarantee they'll head for your house."

Dad thanked the man for his time and his estimate, then led him out of the house.

A week later the company called back, wondering if we were interested in using their termite extermination services.

In his slow drawl, I heard my father reply, "Well, from the prices you quoted, I'm thinking it'll be cheaper to just buy the termites another cord of wood every now and again."


[Bertha Morgan in Reader's Digest "All in a Day's Work" via Doc's Daily Chuckle]

+++

WISDOM for YOUR WEEK: "Honor your father and mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you." (Exodus 20:12)

+++


Mark's Musings is available via RSS Feed, Facebook Note, Amazon Kindle, or e-mail each weekday. I would consider it an honor if you would subscribe by clicking here.

2 comments:

SusanB said...

Oh my goodness, I wish I'd thought to have the tissue box in here when I first started reading Phillip's story of his family. Once I'd begun reading, I didn't want to stop to get up and go get it. That was THE most beautiful tribute to a mans family I have ever witnessed. It made me wonder if I'd have been blessed enough to have had that sort of relationship with my own father, had he lived to grow old. Well, The Lord knows best, so I'll just let Him handle it. But meanwhile, I need to go call my Mamma. :')

Mark said...

I know, right? I should have mentioned that it would be good to have the tissue ready before you begin the photo essay.

I have known people who were estranged from their parents when they passed, and I know people who were able to spend the last few months with a parent. The latter are definitely more at peace with both themselves and the world.