Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Boring Service

Today marks the beginning of Lent. I've always thought of it as a kind of "spiritual detox" to prepare the soul for the miracle and joy of Easter.

This year I am going traditional and giving up something for Lent. It's a favorite foodstuff, and each time I'm tempted to eat it, I will remember that I gave it up, and that will help me remember what Christ gave up for me. With hope, when Easter arrives, I'll be a healthier person and, more importantly, a better Christian.

Once again I'm posting the Ship of Fools creative ideas for Lent. The list is from 2008, but just follow along as best you can.

+++

WHEN THE SERVICE GETS BORING

Pass a note to the organist, asking if he or she takes requests.

See if a yawn really is contagious.

Listen for the preacher to use a word that begins with the letter "A," then "B," then "C," and so on.

Sit near the front, then during prayer times, turn and visibly count the number of people who do not have heads bowed and eyes closed.

Using the chosen melody, sing the lyrics to the hymn on the opposite page of the one selected. Loudly.

Make up a Bingo card using the pastor's favorite phrases.


[selected from Mikey's Funnies]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: If Sunday is a day of rest, why do we go to church so early in the morning?

+++


Mark's Musings is available via RSS Feed, Facebook Note, Amazon Kindle, or e-mail by clicking here.

No comments: