Monday, November 24, 2008

Collateral

Remember to send me your suggestions for "Life's Little Gratitudes" to be published this Thursday. I'm not talking big stuff here, like getting over a heart attack or recovering from an addiction - though those are certainly things to be thankful about - but just little things, like the people who ring the bell at Salvation Army kettles reminding us that there are still people who care in this world, or indoor plumbing, or a well-placed wastebasket when you need one. You know, little things for which you are thankful.

===

Meanwhile, remember Life magazine? They were probably most well known for their photographs of celebrities and Americana. Published off and on since the 1880s, the magazine owns literally millions of archived photographs, 90% of which never made it to print. They are now working with Google to put these photographs on the web.

The magazine is also working to establish its own photo website here.

+++

I went with my husband recently to get his haircut. While he was in the stylist's chair, I was flipping through a magazine and I saw a hairstyle that I thought would look good on me. I asked the stylist if I could take the magazine next door to a shop where I knew I could make a photocopy of the page.

"Okay," she replied, "but you'll have to leave some ID ... a driver's license or a credit card."

"But my husband is sitting right there getting his hair cut!" I protested.

"Yeah ... but we need something you'll come back for."

[Joe's Clean Laffs]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: Are you as nearsighted as I am? If so, you have "myopia" (my-OH-pee-uh) or you are myopic. The word comes from two Greek words: myein (to close) and ops (eye). Myopia can also refer to something - as in a strategic plan - being shortsighted, or lacking foresight or long range vision.

+++


Mark's Musings is also sent each weekday via email. Picture yourself with your own subscription for free when you click here.

No comments: