Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Midweek Meditations

There are more than 40,000 unnamed bodies buried in the U.S. Another 100,000 are listed as missing.

These "John and Jane Doe" bodies are not without friends, however. There is a whole "Doe Network" of people logging onto the Internet every evening and using their spare time to search through law enforcement databases, library records, police reports, and photographs, trying to find some way to match a face with a name and give some loved ones closure.

If you're looking for something to do with the Internet other than play the latest game, you can join the Doe Network, too. Read more about it and the reason people join here.

+++

A MIDWEEK PAUSE FOR SOME SERIOUS WORDS

Down, down, down into the darkness of the grave
Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind;
Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave.
I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
-- Edna St. Vincent Millay

The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference.
The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference.
And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference.
-- Elie Wiesel

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity.
-- Gilda Radner

Dying is a very dull, dreary affair. And my advice to you is to have nothing whatever to do with it.
-- W. Somerset Maugham

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster.
-- Isaac Asimov

There are never any endings; only beginnings in disguise.
-- Mark Raymond

[selected from wisdomquotes.com; except for the last one, of course, written by yours truly]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: When agnostics die, do they go to the Great Perhaps?

+++

Mark's Musings is sent via email each weekday and if you haven't got your own yet, a subscription is yours for free by clicking here.

No comments: