Saturday, March 01, 2008

To Gary, With Love


For two years while I was in college, I roomed with this guy, Gary Driskell. He was a big bear of a man, but could sing like an angel. If "American Idol" had been around back then, he would of been a finalist.

We found we had much in common: both of us had a zeal for the things of the Lord, we both loved music, played guitar and piano, and wrote our own songs. We'd spend hours playing our songs for each other. I'd play one, he'd play one, and so on. We both also had a powerful sense of humor.

We wrote a bunch of songs together, and started a band called "Michael" - though why we named it that, I've forgotten - we played everything from ballads to progressive rock. (We were heavily influenced by "Kansas" at the time.) We reached some level of success in the Kansas City area and even opened once for John Michael Talbot and Mike Warnke (before he was discredited).

Gary had a powerful way with a lyric. I know I've shared this quote before, but one of the favorite things of mine he's ever written and, indeed, one of the finest things I've ever seen written, was this quote from "There They Are Again":

But people just walk on and live in disillusion
Satisfied with their confusion
Leaving death as their conclusion
To life
I guess they just don't comprehend the situation
Death was meant to be elation
Life is but a revelation
Of love


After we graduated, I moved back to Michigan and attempted a solo career in music. Gary moved to Nashville to cast his songwriting bread upon the waters. From that point on, we kind of fell out of touch, though I did call him once or twice and I certainly kept a fairly close eye on his career. You see, Gary did become a songwriter, and a pretty good one.

He wrote music that was recorded by Larnelle Harris, Sandi Patty, and Wayne Watson, to name a few. One of his songs, "Another Time, Another Place" won two Dove Awards and was named "Song of the Year" in 1991. Dove Awards are the Christian music community's version of The Grammys, so they're a pretty big deal.

I was reminiscing about the good times I had with Gary in college this past Thursday as I was updating my website. I was working on expanding the "About Me" section and I'd included a graph on my creative work with Gary. I wanted to get the year he won his Dove Awards correct, so I Googled his name. You can imagine my very great surprise when one of the first entries on the page was...

...his obituary.

Gary passed away last Saturday, February 23, from complications of an elective surgery he'd had. I was shocked. I was stunned. I was in tears in a very short time.

His memorial service is taking place even as I type this blog entry. This is my own little tribute to a man I once knew well and was proud to call my friend.

ANOTHER TIME, ANOTHER PLACE
words and music by Gary Driskell

I've always heard there is a land
Beyond the mortal dreams of man
Where every tear will be left behind
But it must be in another time

There'll be an everlasting light
Shining a purest holy white
And every fear will be erased
But it must be in another place

So I'm waiting
For another time and another place
Where all my hopes and dreams
Will be captured with one look at Jesus' face
Oh, my heart's been burnin'
My soul keeps yearnin'
Sometimes I can't hardly wait
For that sweet, sweet someday
When I'll be swept away
To another time and another place

I've grown so tired of earthly things
They promise peace but furnish pain
All of life's sweetest joys combined
Could never match those in another time

And though I've put my trust in Christ
And felt His spirit move in my life
I know it's truly just a taste
Of His glory in another place

Gary Driskell is no longer a man of faith, as he has no more need of it. He has the reality of seeing Christ, face to face, in another time and another place. Rest in peace, my friend.


6 comments:

Lisa Harper said...

As I was reading this post, I kinda had a feeling that Gary had passed away. As I continue to 'age' I am finding myself thinking about years gone by, friends lost, families not being so close as they once were. I even wonder what would happen if I should suddenly depart from this earth before my son matures into a young man. I guess it is just part of growing up and living. We should never forget those years gone by, but as we all live our day to day lives, it's not hard to get de-attached from what we 'once had'. I enjoyed your tribute to Gary, and the music. I know he is looking down on you and thanking you for sharing this with so many others. He is now sharing his talent in that new mansion in heaven.

Blessings,
Lisa

Goodlyplayer said...

10-31-2010
Hello mark,My name is Manny Lemos, short for Manuel Lemos.
I came across your blog in my search for Gary Driskell.

I came across his music just recently while examining a Luke Garrett Cd entitled “Here and Now” there are two powerful songs by Gary there that got me interested in his music “ The year of the Lord’ and the ‘Potter’s wheel”

I was convinced that there had to be more of his music out there artist who write with Gary’s conviction and certainty just don’t write two songs and that’s it. I was hoping to have found a kindred Christian spirit and then I found that this wonderful servant had been called home. I will have to wait to meet this brother in eternity someday as I too believe strongly that the only things we can take when we are called home is our Love for Christ and our song of praise that will precede us there

For those that may want to know what we are referring to when I mention his music, they will be well rewarded at Gary's web site one that his wife and family have set up. there are 11 of his song that he had written for other's to sing but here he sings then himself and what a wonderful talent.

I thank God that there are these recording to encourage and inspire.
I you could email me back I'd like to dialogue with you about Gary, I am contemplating to putting together a radio spot featuring his music and biography. Any moment you could share with me about him and any references you could pass along who would also be agreeable to share their knowledge of him would help he to understand the man and Christian that he had been here.

Thank you for your post about your friendship with Gary it is greatly appreciated

Manuel Lemos; Tenor for Christ

goodlyplayer@yahoo.com

Mark said...

The website Manuel is talking about is http://www.garydriskellmusic.com/. It's worth a visit, Gary was an enormous talent.

Anonymous said...

Two of Gary's kids (Sarah and Joel) have a band - "Maywood"
Go to http://maywoodband.com/music.html

sds said...

Hi Mark! I was sent this link by "Anonymous" ^ up there. I must say, what a lovely tribute to Dad! He is still greatly missed, but his legacy lives on his his music, us kids and in everyone who ever knew him. His treasures in heaven will be collected for a long time, I have a feeling. My band just covered one of his tunes for Easter, which is what has sparked the renewed interest your blog. http://youtu.be/r9HcxbqmzjQ (The two primary vocals are myself and my brother Joel.)

I'm planning to update garydriskellmusic.com soon with words and letters of memoriam from those he influenced during his life. Would you mind if I republished your blog entry?

Wow, I've never even heard of "There They Are Again". Awesome!

Mark said...

Sarah, I have watched a couple of your videos and your talent - indeed, that of all your band - is impressive. I wish you continued success in that endeavor and yes, I would be honored to be included in Gary's memorial page. Should we ever meet I'll have to share with you some of Gary's early music: "There They Are Again," "Blow Your Mind," and "What Makes You Think You'll Get to Heaven" are just a few we wrote together (mostly Gary, though).