Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day, 2008

Saint Valentine's Day, 2008.

This year I thought I'd share a true story sent in by list member Mike B. Be sure you read my little "P.S." at the end.

+++

VALENTINE'S DAY CARD

In 1978 I was living and working as a deputy sheriff in a rural mountain area, approximately 40 miles from the nearest town. As I was driving around on routine patrol one day, listening to AM radio, the announcer reminded all of the guys and gals out there that it was Valentine's Day.

At first I panicked, as I had forgotten to buy my wife a Valentine's Day card. I didn't have time to drive into town to get a card before my wife was due home and there was no place locally in that rural area to pick one up. At that time, however, our children were young and we had colored construction paper, scissors, glue, and anything else I might need to make my own card.

As soon as my shift was over, I rushed home and began cutting and gluing my card, adding a little poem, straight from the heart. It took me almost two hours and I finished it just minutes before my wife arrived at home. I presented my specially-made Valentine and she gave me her store-bought card. We then went on to celebrate the day with a candlelight dinner and other romantic amenities.

The next day, while emptying the trash, I found my specially-made card in the bottom of the trash basket. I couldn't believe it! I had worked so hard on it, and there it lay, discarded in the trash. I fished it out and hid it away. Then, on Valentine's Day in 1979, I gave her the card again, adding a note about where I had found it.

Well, from that day until this, I have given her the same card every year. Of course, each year I add a new little note along with little gifts inside the card. That old card has gotten dog-eared and stained over the years, but there is a lot of sentiment and ever-increasing love carried by that little card each succeeding year.

I now chuckle to myself as I walk past the greeting card displays every year as Valentine's Day draws near, watching all of the husbands and boyfriends try to pick out the perfect card, knowing all the while that I already have my perfect card, and will have it for many years to come.

Of course, each year I have to fish it out of the trash....

[written by list member Mike Boudreaux, used with permission, edits by Mark Raymond]

+++

WISDOM for YOUR WEEK: "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." (John 13:34)

+++

P.S. - Mike wants to quickly reassure readers that the last bit is not true. His wife reads the new note he's added, cherishes the other notes from previous years, and removes whatever little bauble he's included in this year's card. Then she hands it back to him and tells him to put it away until next year. Mike figures that little handmade card has saved him a bundle in store-bought greeting cards and countless hours looking for one over the years and that it has now become a cherished and priceless memento, and he don't know what he'd do if it was ever truly misplaced.

+++

Hey, you'd love your very own subscription. Get one by clicking here.

No comments: