Friday, February 24, 2006

I Am My Parent's Son

I guess what I mean by that is I owe a precious lot of physical characteristics to the DNA and genes of my parents. We all do, I know that. But it's been on my mind the past couple of days as I was knocked for a complete loop by a migraine for a day and a half. Shot my blood sugars all over the map and three separate types of headache medicine couldn't stop it. "Sick headaches," as my father used to call them. Good thing I'd uploaded the Mark Mail post ahead of time, because I wasn't doing much of anything Tuesday or Wednesday.

From my father, I've inherited this occasionally blinding migraine - to which the usual solution is a violent upheaval of everything I've eaten in the last 24 hours and a day in bed sleeping it off. I've also inherited his hairline (thanks, Dad). And we share a similar body type and facial features. In fact, should I ever shave my face or head completely, my wife will stop sleeping with me because I look too much like my Dad and the emotional implications are too spooky creepy for her. Can't say I blame her.

To be fair, I've also inherited his sense of humor and down-to-earth way of looking at things practically, as well as his sense of compassion.

From my mother, I inherited a modicum of musical talent, a way of looking at things creatively, and diabetes. Every silver lining has its cloud, right?

Anyway, that's why I didn't post here the past few days.

No comments: