Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Life's Little Instructions


At one point in my life - and this, I should say, is still on my to-do list - I thought I would jot down "Everything I Know About the World" so my children (and their children, presumably) would have something to not only remember me by, but to ponder and perhaps even live by. I suppose this is one reason why I started writing a blog several years back.

Well, a gentleman named Walker Lamond has more or less beaten me to the punch. He has just published a book based on his blog, "1001 Rules for My Unborn Son." There are about 400 published at the blog and, frankly, most of them are pretty good advice for just about everyone.

+++

SOME of LIFE'S LITTLE INSTRUCTIONS

Sing in the shower.

Never refuse homemade brownies.

Return borrowed vehicles with the gas tank full.

Compliment three people every day.

Floss your teeth.

Overtip the waitress. Most of them work harder than you ever will.

Use the good silver.

Sing in a choir.

Don't expect life to be fair.

Count your blessings.


[written by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.]

+++

WORDS for YOUR WEEK: "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions." (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

+++

Many, many posts ago I featured a "Life's Little Joys" and a "Life's Little Nuisances" theme that were written by all of us together. I'm feeling like maybe it's time for you to send me "Life's Little Rules" that you try to live by. I'll feature them in my Friday post on November 6, if I receive enough.


Mark's Musings is on an RSS Feed and also available via e-mail each weekday. Get your own subscription - it's free! - with a click here.

No comments: