Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Funny Quotes


I have been remiss in not noting the passing of Milton Supman.

You might know him better as Soupy Sales. He spent a good part of his career on Detroit area television. For many years he hosted a children's television show that was probably most well known for pies in the face. Usually Soupy's, occasionally someone else's.

Disgruntled that he had to work one New Year's Day, he told the children in his audience that their parents had probably had a bad night and were most likely still sleeping. He told the children to sneak into their parents bedrooms and find their purses or wallets, then remove "those funny green pieces of paper with pictures of U.S. Presidents," then "put them in an envelope and send them to me, and I'll send you a postcard from Puerto Rico!"

Several days later - after money began arriving - he announced that he had been joking but was fired anyway. However, the children organized a picket outside a New York television station that went on for two weeks and eventually Soupy was put back on the air.

Oddly enough, Soupy never felt he received any respect working in children's television and did some variety television, movies, and appeared as a regular panelist on "What's My Line?" from 1968 to 1975.

Normally I would do a "Wit and Wisdom of Soupy Sales" post but the Internet is woefully thin on Soupy quotes. So we'll just do some humorous quotes from various sources.

+++

"Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect." (Stephen Wright)

"Electricity is really just organized lightning." (George Carlin)

"I don't need you to remind me of my age. I have a bladder that does that for me." (Stephen Fry)

"I have tried to know absolutely nothing about a great many things, and I have succeeded fairly well." (Robert Benchley)

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style." (Quentin Crisp)

"Moderation is a virtue only in those who are thought to have an alternative." (Henry Kissinger)

"My theory is that all of Scottish cuisine is based on a dare." (Mike Myers)

"Never raise your hand to your children ... it leaves your midsection unprotected." (Robert Orben)

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday." (Don Marquis)

"There comes a time in a man's life, and I've had plenty of them." (Casey Stengel)


[selected from brainyquote.com]

+++

WONDER for YOUR WEEK: Can an ambidextrous person make an offhand remark?

+++


Mark's Musings comes free every weekday on an RSS Feed or via e-mail and you can get it by clicking here.

No comments: