Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Counting

Faith and Begorrah, but it's Saint Patty's Day, don't ya know!

Saint Patrick is, of course, the Patron Saint of Ireland. Well, at least the one most of us have heard of. There appear to be two others: Brigid of Kildare and Columba. (According to Wikipedia)

Get yourself a shamrock-full of St. Patrick's Day news here.

But what I really want to highlight, since talking about Saint Patrick leads smoothly into talk of religious things, is a link sent to me by list member Zach Y., where scientists have now recorded actual differences in the brains of religious and non-religious people. Your belief in God can, it turns out, help block anxiety and reduce stress in your life.

We knew that all along, of course, so once again we see science catching up with theology.

+++

Recently while we were eating lunch after church one Sunday, my youngest son asked me what the highest number I had ever counted up to was.

I said I didn't know. Then I asked him how high he has counted.

"5,372," came the prompt reply.

"Oh," I said. "Why did you stop there?"

"The sermon was over."


[Weekly Church Laughs Newsletter from Christianity Today]

+++

WORDS for YOUR WEEK: "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." (William Butler Yeats)

+++


Mark's Musings comes on an RSS Feed or via email each weekday, and on me sainted mother's grave, I promise ye can get your own subscription every day by clicking here. 'Tis free.

No comments: