Monday, September 29, 2008

Sweet Potatoes

First it was our toys, and I said nothing because I wasn't a child.

Then they poisoned our pork, and I said nothing because I wasn't a pig.

Then they poisoned our baby formula, and I said nothing because I wasn't a baby.

Now they're poisoning our coffee and well, something must be DONE!

+++

Every morning during our coffee break, my colleagues and I listened to the culinary disasters of a newly-married co-worker, who had never really cooked before and was now struggling to meet the demands of cooking for two. We always tried to share helpful hints and tips.

One day she asked us for step-by-step instructions on cooking sweet potatoes, one of her new husband's favorite dishes.

"I need your help," she explained, "because I've finally been able to make them sweet, but how do you make them orange?"

[Joe's Clean Laffs]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: How about a word about words? "Jargon" began life as an Old French word referring to the chattering of birds. Its current usage refers to technical, specialized words specific to your field of work that those who don't work there would have trouble understanding. (It would be as the chattering of birds to them, you see.) Here's an example of some postal jargon, "Run the trays in that APC through the CIOSS, cull the nixies up to 030, then take the DPS mail out to the carrier unit." See? Bird chattering.

+++


Mark's Musings is also sent each weekday via email. Get your own normally-colored subscription for free when you click here.

No comments: