Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Dad's Lunch

Welcome to the second half of 2008. It's all downhill from here. All you hypermilers on the highway of life can turn your engine off and coast.

===

Like Winnie the Pooh, I often find I have a "rumbly in my tumbly." This can be particularly embarrassing in social gatherings. Like a couple months back while my small group from church was trying to have some quiet time. My tummy wanted nothing to do with that, apparently. I think I had to leave the room.

And don't get me started about the times the effect has torpedoed any romantic notions I might have....

Hmm. Perhaps that was too much information.

Speaking of information, the folks at How Stuff Works have put together a pretty informative article on why your stomach growls and some things you can do to knock it down a bit.

The official word for that tummy growl is, by the way, "borborygmus" (bore-buh-rig-mess).

+++

SIGNS DAD PACKED YOUR LUNCH

Mom usually takes the cellophane *off* the cheese.

You asked for a PB & J. You got pastrami, beef jerky, and jalapenos.

Veggies and fruit? Potato chips and Orange soda, of course.

Nothing in the bag except a $20 bill and a note: "Don't tell Mom and you can keep the change."

You made $40 by selling all the extra food he packed that you didn't eat.

Two words: Cheez Whiz.

Mom's note: "Study hard! I love you!"
Dad's note: "Get a job!"

[selected from Chris White's Top Five on Food; family friendly edits by Mark Raymond]

+++

WORDS for YOUR WEEK: "The belly rules the mind." (Spanish Proverb)

+++


Mark's Musings is also sent via email each weekday and if you haven't already got one, get your very own calorie-free subscription by clicking here.

No comments: