Monday, December 29, 2008

Stair Tumble

It's the last week of the year. Are you starting to get your New Year's Resolutions in mind? Pick one that you've always wanted to do, and one that you absolutely *know* you can accomplish. For example, one year I resolved that everything I threw toward a wastebasket would wind up in one. That entire year, if I missed the dustbin, I picked up whatever I was throwing away and placed it into the trash. Since then I haven't been able to miss and let the waste lie there on the ground near the basket without picking it up and completing the throw-away. It really worked! Of course, my other resolution was to lose weight and that one didn't work out so well. I'm trying that one again next year.

I have only one small change to make to this post for 2009. You'll see it on Thursday.

And now that I've got you looking forward, let's look back for a moment. Remember the little red wagon you may have had as a child, made by a company called Radio Flyer? Well, they're coming out soon with Version 2.0. And you won't believe your eyes. Or the price tag. Some sites say it will start at about $1,000.

+++

I recall a time when my son was about 18 months old. I had him strapped into one of those child carriers you wear on your back.

I was rushing out of our apartment building to catch a bus when I missed a step and fell down the entire flight of stairs; about 13 steps in all. I was bruised and bleeding and had torn my jeans but my main concern, naturally, was for my little boy bundled onto my back.

My fears were alleviated, however, when I shortly heard a gleeful giggling from behind me and a tiny voice yell, "Again!"

[Thomas Ellworth via Good Clean Funnies List]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: Many, many years ago, Greek philosopher and teacher Aristotle had two groups of students. One was a more casual group, and the other were serious thinkers. He divided his teachings into two groups, as well. One was "exoteric" and the other was "esoteric." Esoteric came from the Greek word "esoterikos," which meant "belonging to an inner circle." Our understanding of the word "esoteric" has come to mean something that's difficult to understand, or not publicly disclosed, or in some cases, we still observe the original meaning of keeping the knowledge to a small field of endeavor, which not many people know. As in, "Sarah's success with software was based on an esoteric programming language."

+++


Get your own subscription - say, "sub" means under ... you deserve better than that. So I say you can get your own *super*scription for free by clicking here. Mark's Musings, y'see, is also available via email each weekday and via RSS Feed.

No comments: