Friday, August 29, 2008

Prince Rupert and Homeward


Not much to do in Prince Rupert, as it turns out. We didn't find a shore excursion we wanted to go on, so we just went ashore and walked about the town for an hour and a half. We did visit a local museum and thus contribute to the continued preservation of the area's heritage.

Prince Rupert is located on the Kaien Island near the mouth of the Skeena river in Northwest British Columbia. It was named after the governor of Hudson's Bay Company and was the home to the Tsimshian Indians, one of the "First Peoples" to settle on the North American continent.

The picture above is Bonnie and I with one of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police's Finest. And just so you know, we're not that short and dumpy, the man in red was a huge speciman of Mountiehood.

As I mentioned yesterday, today we are simply asea making the 900 mile voyage back to Seattle. The ship is rolling and yawing on the moderate seas. Picture riding a slow motion roller coaster, or trying to walk across a hammock, and you'll have a good idea of what this feels like. Fortunately, neither Bonnie nor myself succumb easily to this sort of thing.

The beginning of the week it seemed that time was moving slowly with the vacation still stretched out before us in eager anticipation of each day's arrival. Now, of course, it feels like the week just flew by and we'd certainly enjoy a few more days onboard.

But, on the other hand, it will be good to get home. We missed our daughter's first swim meet and don't know how that came out, my son had another job interview and we have no clue how that went, the mail is stacking up, and the email is absolutely bursting my Inbox at its electronic seams. (Over 300 messages last time I checked.)

So give me a day to reacclimate my body to the Eastern Time Zone, work on a post or two for next week, and then I'll see about responding to anything you may have sent me while I was gone.

The vacation is nearly over. (Picture me sad.)

1 comment:

Rickie, Domestic Goddess said...

Did the mountie start singing Monty Pythonesc, "He's a lumberjack and he's okay, He sleeps all night and he works all day"..hehe