Monday, May 19, 2008

Monday Groaners

Long, busy weekend that plumb tuckered me out, folks.

So that means just a few groaners to get me through Monday and I'll be back with your regularly scheduled tidbits and musings the rest of the week. I promise.

+++

MORE MONDAY GROANERS

Lots of cheese I did melt, I'm ruing it.
I was told I should start in to chewing it.
Though I made quite a mess,
I'll gladly confess,
I really did have fonduing it.

I heard a story about a dog who ran two miles just to pick up a stick, but I didn't believe it. It was too far-fetched.

If a poet edits his own work, is he reversing himself?

The people who ran the Roman Coliseum just couldn't make any money. The lions kept eating all the prophets.

What we really need in this country is a political party for janitors so we can have some sweeping reforms.

If Shakespeare had written the "Hokey Pokey":
O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinsistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
Mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wild release from Heaven's yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the Poke -- banish now thy doubt.
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.

[JokeMaster with edits and additional material by Mark Raymond]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: Where did we get the word "boondocks"? From the Philippine people near the end of World War II. American soldiers returning from the war brought the word back with them. In the Philippines, "bundok" means "mountain" in the sense of something wild and untamed. We adopted it to mean any remote place far from civilization.

+++


Mark's Musings is also sent via email each weekday. Get your own subscription for free without having to even leave your chair by simply clicking here.

No comments: