Thursday, May 08, 2008

Earache

Last year I turned 50 and with that came a special rite of passage: my first colonoscopy. I had that done last fall. My doctor removed several polyps and said he was so certain I had colon cancer he marked the spots with surgical ink so he could find them more easily when he went back for the surgery.

The good news is that the polyps turned out to be benign and I didn't have cancer. The bad news is that he wanted to do a follow-up colonoscopy in six months to confirm the original diagnosis.

That day is today.

So please have a good thought for me and I trust you'll understand why I was in no shape yesterday to find an interesting Internet diversion for today's post.

+++

Hoping to get an emergency appointment with our pediatrician, I called his office.

"My son has a horrible earache," I told the nurse.

"Which ear?" she asked.

I called to Eric, "What ear is it?"

He replied, "2008!"

I got the appointment.

[Lenora Kater, Reader's Digest "Life in These United States"]

+++

WISDOM for YOUR WEEK: "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving." (Psalm 62:11-12)

+++


Mark's Musings is also sent via email each weekday and hey, you can get your very own subscription for free here.

No comments: