Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Dumb Telemarketer


My wife and I received a call this evening that had me wondering if we were still on the "Do Not Call" registry.

You know about that, right?

It's a free federal service run by the Federal Trade Commission that blocks most telemarketers from calling you. You can still be called by political parties, charities, and organizations conducting surveys, but calls trying to sell you stuff drop right off. And your registration is forever.

And yes, we're still on it.

+++

Our daughter stayed home one weekend while my wife and I went on a weekend trip to celebrate our anniversary.

At some point while we were gone, the telephone rang. It was a telemarketer.

Telemarketer: "Hello, may I speak to Mr. Raymond?"

Daughter: "I'm sorry, but Mr. Raymond is out of town celebrating his wedding anniversary."

Telemarketer: "How nice for him! Well, then, may I speak to Mrs. Raymond?"


[retold from Joe's Clean Laffs]

+++

WORDS for YOUR WEEK: "I don't answer the phone. I get the feeling whenever I do that there will be someone on the other end." (Fred Couples)

+++

Mark's Musings is available via an RSS Feed, a Facebook Note, the Amazon Kindle (just 99¢. A month.) and arrives via e-mail each weekday (usually). Subscriptions are free. ISSN 2154-9761.

No comments: