Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Forgotten Words

I don't rightly recall what put me on to this line of thinking, but on the way home tonight I was trying to remember some very useful words that you just don't hear anymore.

Flapdoodle, for one.

Fun words. Words whose very pronunciation carries a good ounce of meaning without ever having to consult a dictionary. Words that usually upset spell check software.

Like tarnation.

Or gumption.

How about betwixt?

Poppycock and Balderdash, twin brothers of skepticism.

Hullabaloo.

Tomfoolery.

I invite you to share some of your favorite "forgotten words."

2 comments:

Rich said...

Hornswaggled.
Dagnabbit.
Please.

Mark said...

Hah! I like that last one. Spell checkers wouldn't have a problem with that one, though, would they? Just society, apparently.

Aren't these older posts fun?