Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Basement Bedroom

There's an old joke that goes something like, "Teenagers must be hard of hearing ... most of them can't hear what you're saying until they're in their 20s."

Turns out there might be something to that.

+++

When my son was in the ninth grade, we reluctantly let him move his bedroom to the basement.

Then I realized how convenient it became to get him up to the breakfast table. Before, I'd stand at the bottom of the stairs and yell. Now all I had to do was flip the light switch on and off, and he'd come up.

One morning I flicked the switch, and nothing happened. So I flicked it on and off several more times.

"I'm on my way!" our son called up. "You didn't have to yell."


[Pastor Tim's CleanLaugh]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: Let's go back to some old German - gewinnan - meant to achieve something through struggle. It's the root for the word "win," which was originally wynn, and meant pleasure or delight. Add the word "sum" in the sense of some, or a small amount, and you get the word winsome, which is something full of joy, or very pleasant.

+++

Mark's Musings is available via an RSS Feed, a Facebook Note, the Amazon Kindle and via e-mail each weekday (usually). Subscriptions are free. ISSN 2154-9761.

No comments: