Thursday, June 24, 2010

Out of Place


So I was reading recently about the flaps on sportcoat jacket pockets. Tucked in? Left out? Just what's the etiquette on that sort of thing?

Apparently, pockets were designed originally to not even have flaps, and flaps are considered a casual appendage. That's why formal attire - tuxedos and such - don't have any. They were brought into vogue by Edward, Prince of Wales. Apparently, it doesn't much matter what you do with a sport coat pocket flap ... if it can be tucked in and still look good, go for it. However, most pocket flaps are designed these days to be just wider than the pocket, so tucking would pucker the material and your appearance.

For your link today, find a few fashion and life tips from Esquire.

+++

As I was helping my daughter with a few things before her class entered the auditorium for her high school graduation, I noticed a young man nearby sporting a long, bleached-blond ponytail from the top of his otherwise shaved head. A heavy linked chain hung around his neck, and one ear sported several earrings.

I had to smile when I overheard him confide to a friend, "Man, I feel so out of place. I'm the only guy here not wearing a tie."


[Reader's Digest "Short Takes" via Wit and Wisdom]

+++

WISDOM for YOUR WEEK: "Then Jesus said to his disciples: 'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes.' " (Luke 12:22-23)

+++

Mark's Musings dresses up on an RSS Feed, a Facebook Note, an Amazon Kindle and via e-mail each weekday (usually). Subscriptions are free. ISSN 2154-9761.

No comments: