Monday, January 25, 2010

Math Movies

I heard on National Public Radio this past weekend that British mathematician Simon Blackburn has worked out the *perfect* mathematical formula for a *perfect* parallel parking process.

It's all described in detail here.

In the article, they call it "simple mathematics," but if that's their version of simple, I'm going to have to go back to school.

+++

MOVIES FOR MATHEMATICIANS

Primes of Passion

The Math of Khan

Deriving Miss Daisy

Planet of the Eighths

The Dirty Square Root of One Hundred Forty-Four

American Pi

The Bourne Parallelogram

WALL-E = MC2

Sines


[Chris White's Top Five on Science w/additional material by Mark Raymond]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: My son wanted to know where the word "colic" came from, what it is, and why we use it to describe unhappy babies. It originated with the Greek word kolon which, indeed, refers to your intestines. The Latin version was colicus, which described issues pertaining to the colon. And while medicine still doesn't know exactly what causes colic in a baby, the general school of thought is that it stems from an underdeveloped (or still maturing) digestive tract.

+++


Mark's Musings is available via RSS Feed, Facebook Note, Amazon Kindle, and e-mail each weekday. When you add up all the reasons, you'll see that it makes sense to get your own subscription with a quick click here.

2 comments:

watch movie for free said...

I found your blog on Google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the
future.

SusanB said...

Yay, the family is growing!! :)

(a nice counter to the "eewww, math!", which I was originally going to start out with, heeheeheee). I'm sorry, but math was never my strong suit. Can I just park my truck without having to do math, please? I promise not to run into anything! :)