Monday, February 25, 2013

Travels with Dad: The Road Home

In the past two weeks, I have driven the length of Indiana, the small end of Kentucky, the width of Tennessee, the length of Alabama, and darn near the length and width of Florida.

Dad and I started out visiting family and friends, worked our way down through the Everglades, rode the inter-coastal highway all the way to Key West, visited the southernmost tip of the continental United States, took video of roosters crowing just down the street from Ernest Hemingway's house, counted cats, bought way too many souvenirs, were within an arm's reach of a zebra and a good spitball from a grown tiger, fed a real live giraffe, hung out with friends, played in a euchre tournament (and lost), watched dolphins, ate too many over-priced and crappy hot dogs, looked at items we grew up with that are now in a museum and it made us feel ancient, watched a bi-plane fly, actually touched a piece of history, had the best strawberry shortcake of our life, and finished up by watching two major league teams play in a lovely minor league stadium.

I think it was, hands down, one of the best vacations I've ever had. And to think, all I had to do to get it was retire.

Now, we head home. And it's a race. As I write this, we are in northern Florida on a Sunday night. On Tuesday afternoon, back in our home state of Michigan, a snowstorm bringing 4-7 inches of snow is predicted to blow through. Our goal is to beat that storm home.

We have an awful lot of driving to do on Monday, the day this blog entry is published. So forgive me if I'm brief, but I need to hit the sack so I'll be a safe driver as you read this.

Thanks for tagging along on my retirement vacation this past week!

No comments: