Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lent, 2013

Ash Wednesday, 2013. The beginning of the Lenten season, which will run 40 days (not counting Sundays) through Easter, which falls on March 31 this year.

Some people give up something for Lent. Common items are coffee, or chocolate. One friend of mine gives up cake and cookies, I think, two of her favorite sweets.

Others add something. They do something special or different for Lent. Read more Scripture. Help out at a soup kitchen. Fast for lunch and spend the time in prayer.

I'm sure that over the years I've mentioned my view on Lent. I see it as a personal "40 days in the wilderness" -- all right, a spiritual wilderness -- to prepare for Easter. To make certain your spiritual house is in order, that you may fully partake of the depth and height of Holy Week and it's joyous culmination in the celebration of Christ's resurrection at Easter.

This year I'm beginning Lent on the road - as I write this, I'm in Florida with my father on another road trip together, our third since Mom passed away. Yesterday was not only the end of Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday, it would have been Mom and Dad's forty-second wedding anniversary were she still with us. I'm glad that Dad didn't have to spend that day alone.

I'm not sure if we'll do anything to set tomorrow apart from our normal routine, but I'd be interested in your thoughts.

+++++

What do you do - or not do - for Lent?


Mark's Musings is published on a periodical basis - right now on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays - but that may change without notice. Find me on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/baldmark. This blog is considered to be a digital periodical publication and is filed as such with the U.S. Library of Congress; ISSN 2154-9761.

No comments: