Monday, September 21, 2009

Music Glossary 3

Several years ago, I predicted that cell phones would make pay phones obsolete. I wasn't the only one to suggest this, and certainly not the first, but nonetheless it came true.

I've already made my next two predictions: one, that wristwatches will become obsolete. Most younger folks I know don't even wear one, choosing instead to consult their cell phone provider for the correct time. My other prediction is that televisions will eventually be replaced by the Internet. You know how they began selling TVs that were "cable-ready"? Soon - if not already - you'll be able to buy a television that's "Internet-ready." I mean, you can already hook them up to your PC if you have the right hardware, but soon I believe you'll see televisions sold with the same kind of cord you find now on your computer monitor, so you can plug it directly into a port on your computer.

Having said that, you might as well get ready to watch your TV online. With today being the "official" start of the fall network television season, it's appropriate to feature 25 Places to Watch TV Online. The article includes some UK sites, as well. And beware, I'm not sure all of the clips being shown there are what we'd consider family friendly.

Speaking of predictions, I made my own guesses at last night's Emmy Awards over at the blog. As I write this, the program is just beginning so I have no idea how close I came. Check it out.

+++

MUSIC GLOSSARY Q to Z

Quintet: Five people playing the same music four could play just as well.

Ragtime: The end of the orchestral piece, when the conductor takes out his handkerchief in a flourish and mops his brow.

Supertonic: Schweppes.

Tempus perfectum: A good time was had by all.

Unison: What the director chooses when the choir is not good enough to sing harmonies.

Vibrato: A method used by singers to hide the fact they are on the wrong pitch.

Wind Ensemble: Congress.

Xylophone: A Greek phrase, literally: "From wood, hello."

Zart: a melodic passing of gas.


[written by Mark Raymond with some minor aid from ahajokes.com]

+++

WORD for YOUR WEEK: Here's a great word that you hardly ever hear: blatherskite. It's not only a compound word, it originates in compound countries. "Blathra" was an Old Norse word meaning "to chatter," and "skate" comes to us from Scotland and describes a contemptible person. Thus, a "blatherskite" is someone who indulges in babble, or nonsense, or just incoherent muttering about inane matters.

+++


Mark's Musings toots its own horn on an RSS Feed and also swings into your Inbox each weekday via e-mail. Get your own subscription here.

No comments: