Friday, June 12, 2009

Graduation Quotations

It's the last day of school for my daughter. She'll now spend a good two months staying up later and sleeping in.

As will several teachers I know, as well.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

GRADUATION QUOTES

"Graduation day is tough for adults. They go to the ceremony as parents. They come home as contemporaries. After twenty-two years of child-raising, they are unemployed." (Erma Bombeck)

"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"A professor is someone who talks in someone else's sleep." (W.H. Auden)

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." (Mark Twain)

"Commencement speeches were invented largely in the belief that outgoing college students should never be released into the world until they have been properly sedated." (Garry Trudeau)

"A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success." (Robert Orben)

"Graduation is only a concept. In real life every day you graduate. Graduation is a process that goes on until the last day of your life. If you can grasp that, you'll make a difference." (Arie Pencovici)

"It is indeed ironic that we spend our school days yearning to graduate and our remaining days waxing nostalgic about our school days." (Isabel Waxman)

"You cannot help but learn more as you take the world into your hands. Take it up reverently, for it is an old piece of clay, with millions of thumbprints on it." (John Updike)


[selected with thanks from The Quote Garden]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I'm still at the Conference through Saturday night, and my daughter has a vocal recital Sunday afternoon ... so once again, probably no blog updates this weekend. I do have some material I'd like to post, though, and I'll endeavor to get it up there soon.

I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: My wife is an amateur photographer and she recently helped me understand a new digital SLR my union bought for me to help with the Local's newsletter look. We love good photographs and good, high-definition photography. So I was glad to see this link passed along by Kim Komando. It's "The Big Picture" put out by The Boston Globe. See http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/. If you have dialup service, it will probably take some time to load, so be warned.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday - pretty reliably - using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure those folks are certified by Habeas to be a safe sender of e-mail. That means you can trust what I send to be free of spam, bots, cookies, or any other electronic crumbs. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise click your day away at my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. To get a reply faster, send compliments or money. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. The credits should never graduate from the post and kicking them off is just unjustified. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my e-mail post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Hasn't happened for awhile. I blame the busy weekends. Anyway, look to the right for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring it all up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. All endorsements implied or inferred are mostly accidental.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." (Henry David Thoreau)

No comments: