Thursday, January 03, 2008

Leg Cast

Orexin-A. Remember that.

It's a drug that's being developed that you'll be able to sniff in a nasal sprayer and bam! Your brain will think you've had some sleep and you'll be more alert and awake and able to continue that two-day marathon in front of your Playstation computer.

The military is paying for the research to develop a drug that will keep its soldiers and pilots on long flights or missions from dozing off or succumbing to the effects of sleep deprivation. So far they've been using stimulants, but those can become addictive, or have unpleasant side effects. The research up until now has only been with monkeys, but I'd bet you'll see it on your pharmacy shelves within a few more years, possibly sooner.

See what I mean here. You think it might make the coffee people nervous?

+++

After I broke my leg falling off a ladder in our garage, I had to wear a cast from the knee down. Normally, my husband and I cuddle right up to each other and are cozy sleepers, but the cast was posing a problem.

Several sleepless nights later, my husband said to me in desperation, "Honey, I don't mind sleeping with the star of the show, but I just can't manage the whole cast."

[Joe's Clean Laffs]

+++

WISDOM for YOUR WEEK: "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)

+++

Mark

+++

Get your own subscription to Mark's Musings without ever leaving the comfort of your jammies by clicking here.

No comments: