Friday, February 15, 2008

More Tech Support

Okay, let's get a little website news out of the way. I have finally activated the "Guest Book" feature on my website, and the old book is completely gone. Kaput. No more. It has passed on. So perhaps if you hurry, you can have the joy (?) of being the first entry in the new book. Go!

Secondly, I've added some fun pics to the Photo Gallery section that those of you who have ever been around babies will enjoy.

The only thing left to update is my list of "Web Sites of the Week," which is still woefully behind the calendar. I'll let you know when I get that feature caught up.

And speaking of updating things, I remember going to see the "House of the Future" at Walt Disney World in Florida many years back. That combination ride/exhibit was shut down quite awhile ago because it couldn't keep up with reality. But now Live Science is reporting that Disney is spending $15 million to revamp and update their future home, working in conjunction with Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard, and others.

My favorite new design feature is the kitchen countertop that can sense what groceries you have put on it and will tell you what recipes you can make with the food you just bought.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

MORE LONG-SUFFERING TALES FROM TECH-SUPPORT

Customer: I'm trying to connect to the Internet with your CD, but it's not working. What am I doing wrong?
Tech Support: Okay, you've got the CD in the CD drive, right?
Customer: Yeah....
Tech Support: What sort of computer are you using?
Customer: Computer? Oh, I haven't got a computer. It's in the CD player and all I get are weird noises. Listen....

===

Tech Support: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: A white one....

===

Customer: Hi, can you help me? I can't get my diskette out.
Tech Support: Have you tried pushing the little button next to the drive that ejects it?
Customer: Yes, sure, but it's really stuck.
Tech Support: That doesn't sound good. Let me see what else we can do...
Customer: No, wait a minute ... here it is on my desk ... I hadn't inserted it yet ... sorry.

===

Tech Support: Click your "My Computer" icon on the left of your screen.
Customer: Your left or my left?

===

Tech Support: Hi, good day to you! How may I help you?
Customer: I can't get my computer to print.
Tech Support: Okay, click the "Start" button...
Customer: Listen pal, don't start getting technical on me. I'm not Bill Gates!

===

Customer: I'm having problems printing in red.
Tech Support: Do you have a color printer?
Customer: Aaaaaaah ... thank you.

===

Customer: My keyboard is not working anymore.
Tech Support: Are you sure it's plugged in to the computer?
Customer: No, I'm not. I can't get around to behind the computer.
Tech Support: Okay. Pick up your keyboard and walk backward 10 paces.
Customer: Okay.
Tech Support: Did the keyboard come with you the whole way?
Customer: Yes.
Tech Support: Then that means the keyboard is not plugged in. Is there another keyboard nearby?
Customer: Yes, there's another one right here ... ah, that one does work.

===

Customer: I can't get onto the Internet.
Tech Support: Are you sure you used the right logon and password?
Customer: Yes, I'm sure. I watched my colleague do it.
Tech Support: Can you tell me what the password was?
Customer: Five stars.

===

Customer: I have a huge problem. A friend put a screen saver on my computer but every time I move my mouse, it disappears.

[submitted by list member Tim D.]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My daughter is off for a retreat with some of our church youth over the next couple of days and we'd certainly enjoy a quiet house for the weekend, if it weren't for work and social commitments already made. Ah well, it's the life we lead and there's no one to blame but us.

You have a quiet weekend for us, and I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: In just about 12 months, all televised signals must be converted from analog to digital, by order of the Federal Communications Commission. Will your television set be able to receive these upgraded signals? Find out just about everything you need to know and what to do in order to prepare for it at http://askbobrankin.com/analog_to_digital_tv_conversion.html. Bob is one of the chief writers and architects of "The Internet Tourbus."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is a Habeas-certified spam free mailer. Subscribe, view past issues in the Archives, or help me defray publishing costs - please - at my web site. To change your e-mail address or unsubscribe, use the "Change Subscription" or "Cancel Subscription" links at the very bottom of this page. To contact Mark, click here. To measure short distances, remember that a dollar bill is just about 12 inches long, and a quarter is just a tick under one inch. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. It's such an easy thing. It really, really is. Original material and commentary © 2008 by Mark Raymond. I update my blog with a copy of this post daily, and extra thoughts, videos, and things that go bump in the night periodically on the weekends. My personal mission statement is John 3:30. Have a good thought for my blood pressure these days, if you think of it. Thanks.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "I have often regretted my speech. Never my silence." (Xenocrates)

No comments: