Friday, July 24, 2009

Walter Cronkite


Well, the weather was touch-and-go all the way down to the stadium yesterday, but it cleared up nicely shortly after we arrived. The popcorn, sadly, tasted like it had been popped in the early 70s and left since then on the corner of Cold and Alone, but the ballpark hot dogs were delicious, and the company was grand. The Tigers, however, lost 2-1 in yet another pitcher's duel - the fourth one in their past five games.

Meanwhile, on with this week's Friday post.

Walter Cronkite passed away one week ago at the age of 92. He was, in many respects, the "gold standard" of broadcast journalism and earned the title of "the most trusted man in America." He never wanted to be called an "anchorman," but took the title "Managing Editor" of the CBS Evening News. He loved sailing, and wrote two books about his travels. The Journalism School at Arizona State University was renamed in his honor in 1984, three years after he retired from daily broadcasts. He has also written a book about his journalistic experiences, and received five national awards recognizing his work, including an Emmy.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

THE WIT AND WISDOM OF WALTER CRONKITE

"America's healthcare system is neither healthy, caring, nor a system."

"Everything is being compressed into tiny tablets. You take a little pill of news every day - 23 minutes - and that's supposed to be enough."

"I can't imagine a person becoming a success who doesn't give this game of life everything he's got."

"The perils of duck hunting are great ... especially for the duck."

"We are not educated well enough to perform the necessary act of intelligently selecting our leaders."

"I asked my doctors if I'd be able to play singles tennis and they said I could. That made me very happy since I haven't played in five years."

"I regret that, in our attempt to establish some standards, we didn't make them stick. We couldn't find a way to pass them on to the next generation, really."

From his CBS Evening News Farewell: "I'll be away on assignment, and Dan Rather will be sitting in here for the next few years. Good night."

"I think somebody ought to do a survey as to how many great, important men have quit to spend time with their families and then spent any more time with their family. Probably less."

"And that's the way it is."

[selected from seven separate websites by Mark Raymond]

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Another fairly quiet weekend is on tap for us. Maybe we can try and finish a couple of household projects and find out where all these wasps are coming from.

Anyway, I'll see you on Monday.

Mark

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WEB SITE of the WEEK: Since I've been on my new job I've been able to be home at supper time and, in fact, have taken responsibility to make about half of the meals. We've got a meal rotation of about 30 different tastes and combinations, but of course we tend to make our favorites most often. Should I ever need inspiration, however, I can visit http://www.discusscooking.com/, and view some of the forum threads from 20,000 other chefs and cooks. You have to become a member to post your thoughts and recipes (it's free), but you can read what other people are cooking and doing and remarking upon to your heart's and stove's content. (A tip o'the Mark's Musings cap to Randy Cassingham.)

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mark's Musings is sent each weekday - more or less - using Ezine Director and I pay a little extra every day to make sure those folks are certified by Habeas to be a safe sender of e-mail. I'm spam-free, tax-free, duty-free, and fat-free. Subscribe, view past issues in my Archives, and otherwise pleasantly click your mouse at my web site. To contact me and sooner or later get a reply, click here. I saw a moose with a cell phone. He was getting a call from the wild. You can forward or reprint "Mark's Musings" freely but please keep the credits attached. The credits never want to visit the corner of Cold and Lonely. Original material and musings © 2009 by Mark Raymond. I update this blog with a copy of my post daily and occasionally with "bonus material" whenever the mood or muse strikes. Look for the label that says "bonus" and you can bring all that extra material up with one click. My personal mission statement remains John 3:30. Find me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/baldmark/. In accordance with the prophecy.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

WORDS for YOUR WEEKEND: "What you will do matters. All you need is to do it." (Judy Grahn)

No comments: